My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

10/10/2010 - 10/24/2010

Right Aileron, Hang Wing from Ceiling

With the completion of the right aileron, the right wing is now also complete.
(Which means both wings are now complete! Yippee!)

Unfortunately, "complete" is not quite correct. As you may recall, I wasn't completely satisfied with the maximum deflection angle of the left aileron. I believe it was 22 degrees or so. When I measured the right aileron, it was about 27 degrees. Much better. There are two reasons that I can see for the difference. First, the nose ribs were slightly smaller on the right aileron than on the left. In this picture (the aileron is upside-down), you can see that the nose ribs don't come completely down to the bottom of the aileron spar. This means that when the gussets are added, they don't stick out as far, which allows more aileron travel. The second reason is the fact that I didn't add the nose rib gussets yet. (I wanted to see what I would get without them.) Unfortunately, the plans don't mention what the maximum aileron travel (or maximum deflection angle) is supposed to be, so I called the designer. He didn't know off hand, and said he would have to look it up and get back to me. So, until I know what angle I'm shooting for, I don't know if I'm done or not.

Also, when gluing the (curved) top leading edge skin, I got some of the same warping as with the wing leading edge. (Again, the aileron is upside-down in this picture.)

I fixed it with the same remedy as the wing. (I also checked the left aileron, and am going to have to do the same thing with that one, too.)

So, while not technically "complete", this is as far as I can go with the wings until I hear back from the designer about the maximum aileron deflection angle.

Total Time: 26.5 hrs.