My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

7/29/2010 - 7/31/2010

Wing Tip (Part One)

Well unlike the wing skins, this part actually turned out ok (so far).
It took a couple of tries, but I'm happy with the way this turned out.

I used 2 pound polyurethane foam. This stuff is like the foam that is used in fake flower
arrangements. For the most part, I used 3M Spray 77 Adhesive to glue the pieces together.
However, it didn't stick to the tip rib very well, so I ended up using Gorilla Glue for that.
(I actually did it in reverse order. I glued one long piece to the tip rib and clamped it
while it dried. Then I added each successive piece on top of that.)

This stuff sands VERY easily. In fact, if you just brush up against it, you can dent it.
Also, the dust gets EVERYWHERE. I suppose it's not too different from balsa wood
in that respect, but it sure is a lot easier to shape than balsa. I was even able
to make a fairing for the navigation light in about an hour.

I had always planned on covering the tips (of the stabilizer, too) with fiberglass.
Our EAA chapter president had excellent suggestions for how to proceed with that,
so that is definitely the next step.

Total Time: 9.0 hrs.