My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

4/24/2010

Filled Some Minor Gaps

After checking the (new) set of spars, I noticed that I still had a few gaps in the plywood webbing and doublers. I knew it was much better than the last time (I couldn't see any light through them this time!), but I still wanted to see if I could do something about it. I mixed some epoxy and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to thin it out a little bit. I then tried sucking the watery epoxy into a syringe. It didn't work with the needle still attached, but with the needle removed, it worked okay (the first time, anyway). On subsequent tries, perhaps the epoxy was too thick again. In any event, I squirted the epoxy into the gaps, but again, it thickened up a little too much to seep down into the cracks, so I grabbed a heat gun and worked it over the area. This worked great! With the epoxy almost as runny as water, it seeped all the way down into those cracks. In fact, I ended up abandoning the syringe altogether. I just smeared some epoxy over the gaps, went over it with the heat gun, let the epoxy run down into the gaps, and let it harden overnight. It came out great!

Then, after a final sanding, I pronounced the spars airworthy.

Total Time: 3.5 hrs.