My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

1/6/2010 - 1/9/2010

Finished Right Front Spar, Added Splice Plates

I glued the other Right Front Spar frame to the pieces already glued together,
sanded everything down, and trimmed both spars to the same length.

I should also mention that I cheated a little bit. Instead of scarfing the plywood webbing, I used butt joints. But, in order to retain the intended strength, I needed to add "splice plates" to the joints. I maintained the diagonal grain orientation, and put plates on both sides of the joint. I realize that it might be a little heavier this way, but I think it was way easier.

Total Time: 8.5 hrs.