My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

5/27/2011 - 6/5/2011

Landing Gear Brackets

These were a bit tricky. There are lots of holes, and it was difficult to get them to line up properly. Each gear leg has 4 brackets, 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside. The inside brackets are bolted together through the bulkhead, as well as to the outside brackets
through the fuselage sides. Space was kind of tight!

I also had to extend the external 2mm splice plate so that the forward brackets would lay flat.

Here they are attached to the fuselage. The metal pieces sticking out of the forward brackets are actually 1/4 inch 4130 steel rods that go clear through the fuselage and through the brackets on the other side. They will be trimmed to length and threaded so that they essentially become very long wing strut carry-through bolts.

Update: CAUTION!!! You can't see it here, but the distance between the front brackets is 1-1/8 inches, while the distance between the rear brackets is 1-3/8 inches. According to the plans, they should be the same. Here's why they're not: The plans originally specified that the shock strut attach brackets go on either side of bulkhead #2. They are 1/8 inch thick. However, when converting to tricycle gear, the supplemental drawings say that a new set of shock strut attach brackets need to be made. I took this to mean that the original ones were no longer needed (unless I was going to convert back to a taildragger at some point). So, I left them out. Unfortunately, when I mounted the front brackets to bulkhead #2, this meant that they were now 1/4 inch closer together than they should have been. The proper solution would have been to either leave the original brackets in place, or add 1/8 plywood spacers so that the brackets would end up being the correct distance apart.

The inside forward brackets stick up above the fuselage floor. If you look closely, you can see a spacer block that I had to put between the brackets and the fuselage side. This is because I used some extra floor supports along the fuselage sides. The plans actually say to make 4 floor supports, but only showed the locations of the two in the middle. I decided the other two needed to go on the sides, to give the floor some support in that area. Unfortunately, this affected the location of the inside brackets, forcing me to use these spacers.

Total Time: 21.5 hrs.