My Wooden Airplane
Skip Navigation Links.

12/5/2014 - 3/4/2015

Varnish

Well, this certainly took a lot longer than expected! I figured it would take a couple of weeks, maybe a month at the most. But not three months! I used Polyurethane Floor varnish, since I figured it would be indoors and subject to some abuse inside the cabin. The instructions said to use Sanding Sealer first, then 2 coats of varnish on top of that. As things started dragging on, I decided to only use 1 coat of varnish, since everything from that point on would be covered by fabric, and wouldn't need to stand up to any physical abuse or UV radiation. Still, 117 hours (50 for the fuselage alone)! I did use a brush instead of a sprayer, since I figured a sprayer would create a huge mess, and waste a lot of material in the process.

Total Time: 117.5 hrs.